Puget Sound Naval Shipyard (PSNS) is comprised of 179 acres of property bordered
on the south by Sinclair Inlet, on the west by
Bremerton, and on the north and east perimeters by the City of Bremerton.
Puget Sound Naval Shipyard was originally established in 1891 as a Naval
Station and was designated Navy Yard Puget Sound in 1901. During World War
I, the Navy Yard constructed ships, including 25 subchasers, seven submarines,
two minesweepers, seven sea-going tugs, and two ammunition ships, as well
as 1,700 small boats. During World War II, the Shipyards primary effort
was the repair of battle damage to ships of the U.S. Fleet and those of its
Following World War II, Navy Yard Puget Sound was designated Puget Sound
Naval Shipyard. The Shipyard engaged in an extensive program of modernizing
carriers, including converting conventional flight decks to angle decks.
During the Korean conflict, the Shipyard was engaged in the activation of
ships. In the late 1950's the Shipyard entered an era of new construction
with the building of a new class of guided missile frigates. USS SCULPIN
(SSN 590) was the first nuclear powered submarine worked on at Puget Sound
Naval Shipyard in 1965.
In 1990 the U.S. Navy authorized a program to recycle nuclear powered ships
at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard. Approximately 16%* of the Shipyards
workload involves inactivation, reactor compartment disposal, and recycling
of ships. The Shipyard has pioneered an environmentally safe method of
deactivating and recycling nuclear-powered ships. This process places the
U.S. Navy in the role of being the world's only organization to design, build,
operate, and recycle nuclear powered ships.
The Shipyard is proud of its history as a naval presence on the West Coast
since 1891 and of its current status as a world class maintenance facility
for the U.S. Navy. Puget Sound Naval Shipyard has demonstrated superb leadership
and continuous process improvement in the areas of productivity, environmental
stewardship, and technical innovation. Puget Sound Naval Shipyard is the
Pacific Northwest's largest Naval shore facility and one of Washington State's
largest industrial installations.
* Data as of May 2002