13 December 2003. For security, USGS has blurred aerial photos of the Vice Presidential residence, along with the White House and the Capitol, although aerial photos of the three remain widely available. See:
22 June 2002
Source of maps and photos: Mapquest.com (color) and TerraServer USGS 23 Jun 1994 (monochrome).
From Vice President Trivia:
The Vice Presidential Residence
The home of the Vice President of the United States is located on the grounds of the U.S. Naval Observatory, Washington, D.C. The large, white-painted brick Victorian house on the southeast corner of 34th Street and Massachusetts Avenue is a century old.
A typical nineteenth century country home in the Queen Anne style, it was built in 1893 for the Superintendent of the U.S. Naval Observatory when that institution moved from its site in the Foggy Bottom district of Washington, to the countryside outside of the city. The house was designed by a local architect - Leon Dessez (1858-1918) and placed on a hilly site northeast of the Observatory's main building, on a piece of property originally called "Pretty Prospect."
Source: US Naval Observatory
The three-story brick house - completed in April of 1893 - is compact, 39 by 77 feet, with 9,150 square feet of floor space. On the ground floor is a reception hall, living room, sitting room, sun porch, dining room and small pantry, and lavatories added later to the north side. The second floor contains two bedrooms, a study, and a den. The third floor attic was originally servants' quarters and storage space. The kitchen was placed in the basement, along with a laundry room and other storerooms.
The house is not likely to inspire awe; indeed, it was never included on any listings of the period of significant houses in the District. It was solid, sensible, and pleasant, described variously during the 1970s as more "dowager than debutante' and "more steamboat than luxury liner." Twelve Naval Observatory superintendents lived in the "house on the hill" from 1893 to 1927. In 1928, with the passage of Public Law 630 of the 70th Congress, the Superintendent's House became home to the Chief of Naval Operations, and was named Admiral's House. Soon thereafter, the first extensive alterations were made to the building. Garage space was added, along with a modernized kitchen, plumbing, and electrical wiring. Admiral Zumwalt was the last CNO to occupy the house.
In July of 1974, the house was designated by Congress as the first official temporary residence of the Vice President of the United States.
The residence is to the left of the swimming pool.
The Vice Presidential Dreamhouse