21 August 2000
Margaret Newsham formerly worked at the National Security Agency's Menwith Hill Station in Britain. She has testified in Congress about NSA's illegal surveillance and provided information about Echelon to a number of journalists. She is currently in a legal battle with her former employer, a US defense contractor which performed services for NSA. She says she is continuously frightened of retribution for what she has disclosed about top secret spying.
She lives alone and suffers crippling disease; Gunther is her guard dog.
From: GUNTHR@webtv.net (MARGARET (PEG) NEWSHAM)
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 21:19:21 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Fwd: HELP!
This horrible thing happened to Gunther while he was boarded and I was in the hospital having surgery. Four toe nails were pulled out on the left front paw and one one the right paw and a huge ring around his nose assuming a muzzle. This horrible crime was committed on a helpless caged German shepherd, MY GUNTHER. He's undergone surgery and is now home but I will find out what happened either a sick demented evil employee or some one did this to Gunther.
I want the person who did this punished. Or maybe we can pull out five of his or her fingernails or toe nails and see how they like it. I went to Paws N Claws I talked to the owner and she said that not one could of done it at Paws N Claws and I said Look , Gunther was here under your roof and supposedly under your protection in a run and some one had to come into his run to do this to him. When he was fed or given watter someone had to see TONS OF BLOOD , and your telling me none of your employees did this and no one saw a thing..this is bullshit and I want answers NOW
If any of you have the name of any lawyer that does Animal injury please let me know.
Also I've called the local news media and will follow up with the police reports. I will not let this happen to another animal.
I'll keep you advised ..
If you have the name e mail of the local or regional animal activist, Please send it to me.
I do not know if this is intentional or what at this point.
Kindness begets kindness.
From: GUNTHR@webtv.net (MARGARET \(PEG\) NEWSHAM)
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 14:39:36 -0700 (PDT)
SEVERE CRUELTY TO GUNTHER, CLAWS PULLED OUT WHILE BEING BOARDED.
1. Aug 11, 2000. I called PAWS 'N CLAWS (Lodging and Grooming) 640 Eastgate Road , Henderson, NV 89015 (phone: 702-565-7297) for reservation for Gunther Newsham's stay from Aug 15th to Aug 17th, 2000.
2. August 15th, 7:00 a.m. I go into St. Rose Dominican Hospital for shoulder surgery.
3. August 15th, 7:00 a.m. Gunther home with neighbor (Judy Lauretz) looking in on him and later to take him to the board facility.
4. August 15th, 5:00 p.m. Betty Shull and Pete Shull go to Pegs house to let Judy Lauretz takes Gunther to Paws n Claws for boarding (as I had not had time to get a key made for Judy) since I'd had the house re-keyed last year.
(as told to me by Judy:)
Judy opens the door and call's Gunther. He comes prancing over to her and she says Gunther where is your leash and Gunther goes to his toy basket and shows Judy his leash. Gunther and Judy leave for Paws N Claws.
5. August 15th, 5:30 p.m. Judy Lauretz admits Gunther Newsham to Paws N Claws for boarding.
6. August 16th, 1600 hours. Peg home from Hospital. Put to bed and Judy calls and ask's if she should go get Gunther and I tell her No I'm not able to care for him yet , Please can you bring him home for me tomorrow and Judy says "Yes".
7. August 17th, 8:00 a.m. I call Judy to see what her schedule looks like and tell her I miss Mr Gunther and she said she had a 9:00 a.m. appointment and will get him after.
8. August 17th, 11:30 a.m. I call Judy and ask her if she could possibly get Gunther before 12:00 because he will be billed for another day. Judy said "SURE I'll GET HIM NOW".
9. August 17th, 11:32 Judy goes to Paws N Claws to get Gunther.
10. (as told by Judy to me:)
August 17th, 11:58 a.m. Judy picks up Gunther but the receptionist calls me and asks me if she should give Judy the $15.00 back as I made the check out for $45.00 for the additional day in case she did not make it by 12:00. I said Please give Judy the change.
JUDY NOTICES THAT GUNTHER IS LIMPING AND THAT HIS PAW LOOKS ODD.
11. August 17th, 1:00 p.m. Judy arrives at 495 Bonnie Brook Place, Henderson , NV 89012, Gunther's Home.
12. August 17th, 1:02 p.m. Gunther comes in the house. I notice immediately that something is wrong with Gunther. I look at his paws and notice that the nails are raw and pick up the phone and call Paw n Claws.
13. August 17th, 1:05 p.m. Phone conversation with Paws N Claws. Told them that Gunther paws are severely hurt, they are raw, and the person says :
(LATER I FOUND OUT IT WAS THE OWNER WHO WAS THE RECEPTIONIST THAT I TALKED TO)
SHE SAID: "OH HONEY DOGS JUST CHEW THE PAWS WHEN THEY HAVE NOTHING TO DO."
I SAID: HONEY!!! NOT GUNTHER HE IS A TRAINED K-9 MY BODY GUARD AND COMPANION SINCE HE WAS FIVE WEEKS OLD.
HE HAS BEEN BOARDED MANY TIMES AND NEVER HAS COME HOME SEVERELY INJURED. NOW I WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO HIM.
(This was at the boarding facility with Judy and myself when we examined the kennel.)
DO YOU HAVE A WORKED THAT IS DEMENTED THAT INJURES ANIMALS THAT WORKS AT YOUR FACILITY OR IS YOUR FACILITY UNSAFE.
GUNTHER HAS BOARDED THERE BEFORE AND NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEM.
THE RECEPTIONIST SAID: PUT NEOSPORIN ON IT AND HE WILL BE FINE.
AND I SAID..
(This was said later at the facility when we were at Paws N Claws.)
ONE OF TWO THINGS HAPPENED, EITHER YOUR PLACE IS UNSAFE OR YOU HAVE A SICK WORKER.
NOW WHEN YOU OR YOU WORKER CLEANED AND FED GUNTHER WAS THERE ANY EVIDENCE OF BLOOD AT ANY TIME.
SHE SAID no! AND then hung up.
Judy was standing right next to me when I made the telephone call.
14. August 17th, 1:30 p.m. I put neosporin on Gunther.
15. August 17th, 1:35 p.m. Called Gunthers Doctor . David Kleiman, D.V.M. PARKWAY SPRINGS ANIMAL HOSPITAL 2221 N. GREENVALLEY PARKWAY HENDERSON, NEVADA 89014 (702-433-9111).
16. August 17th, 1:36. Made appointment for Gunther to come in, they could not see him till August 18th.
17. August 17th, 1:40. Gave Gunther Lunch and then Judy and I had Lunch.
18. August 17th, 6:00 p.m. Doug (Peg's physical therapist came over)
19. August 17th, 6:01. Doug said Hi to Gunther and noticed immediately that he was injured. Doug looked at his paws and said start giving him antibiotics now and if you need help taking him in tomorrow just call me. I said ok.
20. August 18th, 3:00 p.m. I drove Gunther in to Dr. Kleiman D.V.M. PARKWAY SPRINGS ANIMAL HOSPITAL. I was still in a sling and in pain but got him to the hospital.
21. August 18th, 3:10 Dr. Kleiman examined Gunther in the waiting room and said that he had to have immediate surgery that his claws were PULLED OUT OF HIS PAWS.
I SAID IS THERE ANY WAY THAT THIS COULD OF BEEN SELF INFLICTED.
DR KLEIMAN SAID "NO!"
I asked Dr Kleiman to please let me stay and I will take Gunther home with me and he said yes.
22. August 18th, 6:30 p.m.
After Gunther's surgery Dr. Kleiman came out and said that he had to surgically remove and coterize Gunther 's claws. That four claws on the left foot were pulled out and one on the right foot.
Again I asked him was there any way possible that Gunther could of done this to himself either pawing at the ground or trying to get out of his run at Paws N Claws. I told Dr. Kleiman that this happened at the boarding facility and he said he has not heard of this kind of severe injury happening. Dogs will sometime try to get out but this is WAY BEYOND anything like that.
Dr. Kleiman said : bring Gunther back tomorrow so he could change the bandage and gave Gunther
AMOXICILLIN 500 mg
RIMIDYL 100 mg
Then home we went as Gunther so painfully and full of anesthesia he could hardly walk.
August 19, 10:00 a.m.
I called Las Vegas Animal Control to see if any complaints had been filed against Paws N Claws and to make a complaint.
I was given the number to call Henderson Animal Control and talked to Officer Bob: Told him what had happened and asked if he had ever had any complaints from anyone on the facility Paws N Claws.
He said to my surprise NO that he takes his K9 to paws n claws to be groomed and he has inspected the facility once a year.
I asked him if it was possible for Gunther to pull out his own claws and he said NO.
I asked him to write a report that I was going to go to the facility right after I took Gunther back in for the bandage change.
August 19, 2:00 p.m.
Judy and I take Gunther to Parkway Springs Animal Hospital to have his bandage changed. Dr. Kleiman came out and I again ask him if it was possible for Gunther to do this to himself. He said he had not seen the facility but he can not imagine that he could do this much damange to himself. Dr. Kleiman takes Gunther to the back surgery section to change his bandage.
Judy and I wait....
Dr. Kleiman brings Gunther out and I ask for the bill which is over $250.00 and I tell Dr Kleiman that we will take Gunther home and I'm taking the bill to Paws N Claws.
Kindness begets kindness.